JOB TITLE: Maintenance Mechanic/Carpenter
REPORT TO: Maintenance Supervisor
Position Summary The Maintenance Mechanic/Carpenter position is responsible for general carpentry and preventative maintenance duties.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible for general carpentry and preventative maintenance duties
- Performs the construction, repair, or modification of various carpentry items from sketch design or following verbal instructions, utilizing various carpentry manual, electric and pneumatic power tools, equipment, and supplies.
- Appropriately installs doors, windows, hardware, ceilings, etc., utilizing blueprints, layouts, and verbal instructions
- Appropriately prepares the carpentry area, covering structures as needed to ensure the protection office equipment, carpeting, etc. Prepares surfaces; e.g., sanding, chemical preparation, etc., of sheetrock, wood, masonry, metal studs, etc.
- Effectively coordinates work to be completed with appropriate maintenance specialty; e.g.., painting, electricity, masonry, etc., to ensure a quality end product that is completed within established timeframes.
- Ensures that all carpentry equipment and supplies are maintained in a safe and secure environment at all times; e.g., manual, electric/power, and pneumatic tools, glues and adhesives, ladders, scaffolding, etc.
- Provides assistance to other maintenance areas, as needed, including snow removal, furniture moving, and various other general maintenance activities.
All other duties as assigned by the Maintenance Supervisor
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to lift and carry fifty pounds.
- Ability to follow written and verbal directions
- Ability to remove snow using shovel and/or thrower
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- A minimum of three years of carpentry and/or cabinet making experience required
- Must be able to operate all equipment associated with a carpentry shop
- The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.