JOB TITLE: Editorial Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Director’s Office
REPORT TO: Director of Editorial and Content Strategy and Director of External Relations and Strategic Communications
With a dual reporting relationship to the Director of Editorial and Content Strategy and the Director of External Relations and Strategic Communications, the incumbent is responsible for providing editorial and administrative support to communications work of the Institute, facilitating departmental workflow, coordination of projects and production, and ensuring quality control of data and materials. All other duties as assigned by supervisors.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Editorial and media support
- Copyedit, fact check, proof, and research data and materials to ensure accuracy and adherence to style guides.
- Assist in editing and packaging of content for the website, newsletter, and other publications, performing research and securing image and reprint permissions as needed.
- Generate memos and review proofs, gather and format materials, input and check author and administrative changes, and relay design revisions to graphic designer as needed for the newsletter, Annual Report, Faculty and Members booklet, and other online and print materials.
- Assist in the development of online and print production schedules and oversee printings, mailings, internal distribution, inventory, and archiving of various materials, keeping appropriate and accurate records.
- Provide day-to-day support for the Institute’s website, including photo and image requests, uploading Ideas content and Institute Letter articles, updating Faculty and other featured bios, and other changes as needed.
- Assist with media relations work, including staffing press and film crew visits as needed, creating media packets, and fulfilling requests for printed materials and photos. May assist with editing, writing, distribution, and posting of press releases.
- Provide administrative support for the department, including answering phones, photocopying, ordering supplies, and maintaining and organizing departmental files and resources, including developing meeting agendas and updating databases and email lists as well as departmental calendars.
- Act as primary day-to-day vendor contact, including communication with graphic designers, external copy editors, translation and transcription services, photographers, printers, and book publishers/vendors for obtaining books related to IAS.
- Process, scan, and file invoices; track expenses and update departmental budget annually. Plan and oversee the work of summer interns.
- Plan and schedule photography of academic and public events, securing all necessary permissions; take photos at IAS events as needed.
All other duties as assigned by the Director of Editorial and Content Strategy and the Director of External Relations and Strategic Communications.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Strong office and software experience.
- Attention to detail and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Maintain a high degree of confidentiality in all matters related to the Director’s office, the Institute’s development and public affairs program, the Board of Trustees, and all matters requiring sensitivity and discretion.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of one-to-two years of related experience required.
- Prior editorial experience preferred with a solid knowledge of copyediting and fact checking.
- Proven ability to prioritize and multitask while maintaining a high degree of accuracy and professionalism under tight deadlines. Strong attention to detail and excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Strong office and software experience required, including familiarity with Word, Excel, Photoshop, PowerPoint, InDesign and/or Quark; proficiency on both PC and Mac, and experience with databases and digital invitation/marketing platforms preferred.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work productively as a team member required. Must demonstrate a willingness and ability to learn and retain new techniques/skills while meeting deadlines and maintaining high quality standards.
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program.