Academic Assistant School of Mathematics
JOB TITLE: Academic Assistant
DEPARTMENT: School of Mathematics
REPORT TO: School Administrative Officer
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
Provides academic and administrative support to faculty members.
- Makes travel arrangements, creates itineraries, and processes reimbursements upon return.
- Maintains and updates calendars and sends reminders for upcoming meetings and events.
- Creates, updates, and maintains websites using Drupal.
- Prepares letters of recommendation in LaTeX, tracks the deadlines, and issues reminders.
- Types mathematical papers and presentations using LaTeX and other software.
- Assists with monitoring deadlines and compiling data for faculty grant reports.
- Organizes and catalogs faculty pre-prints and reprints.
- Proofreads manuscripts to meet publishers’ specifications and deadlines.
- Distributes mail, maintains bulletin boards, and restocks coffee and office supplies as scheduled.
Assists the School Administrative Officer with Member selection and Short-Term Visitors.
- Creates and maintains detailed lists of selected and waitlisted applicants per faculty feedback.
- Prepares waitlist and declination letters for the Executive Officer’s signature and formal letters of invitation for the Director’s signature.
- Mails letters, scholar questionnaires, and all necessary forms for incoming scholars.
- Maintains a record of Member acceptances and declines.
- Serves as the first point of contact for Members’ pre-arrival questions.
- Collaborates with Math Computing to send incoming scholars their account credentials.
- Creates Member orientation packets and checks-in Members when they arrive.
- Coordinates logistics and provides support services for Short-Term Visitors, including invitation letters, housing reservations, check-in, and travel reimbursements.
- Creates and maintains a digital file for each Short-Term Visitor.
- Maintains the Short-Term Visitor expense report.
- Assigns, sets up, and turns over Short-Term Visitor offices in Fuld, A-Building, Simonyi, and MOS.
All other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work productively as a team member.
- Excellent organization and time-management skills.
- Ability to multi-task and adhere to internal and external deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-motivation and timely follow-up skills.
- Ability to handle sensitive information with confidentiality and discretion.
- Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to use or learn to use LaTeX.
- Ability to use or learn to use Drupal.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required.
- Microsoft Office and software skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to work cooperatively in a team environment and share expertise with others required.
- 3-5 years relevant experience preferred.
- Knowledge of TeX, LaTeX, or AMSTeX strongly preferred
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program.