Assistant Director, Public Relations
JOB TITLE: Assistant Director, Public Relations
DEPARTMENT: Director’s Office/Office of Development and Communications
REPORTS TO: Director of External Relations and Strategic Communications
Reporting to the Director of External Relations and Strategic Communications, the Assistant Director, Public Relations is responsible for media outreach and online and traditional cultivation activities that result in strong and productive relationships with key press to shape and enhance the Institute’s profile and that of its leadership. The incumbent will work with the Director of External Relations and Strategic Communications to build a proactive, strategic foundation for media contact, including list development, pitches, meetings, and other targeted outreach. Key activities include researching, tracking and developing a pipeline of media relationships; writing press releases and related materials; regularly pitching IAS content to influencers online and in print, television, and radio; handling media inquiries and requests; and serving as an IAS spokesperson.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Media Relations Activities
- Responsible for supporting the Institute’s media relations efforts, including building new relationships with key press and strengthening existing media relationships with targeted cultivation and outreach about the Institute and its work.
- Working with the Director of External Relations and Strategic Communications, develop and manage a strategy for regularly distributing IAS content to key media and online sites to generate coverage and website traffic.
- Assist the Director of External Relations and Strategic Communications in researching and strategic planning about developing and sustaining key relationships throughout the year to engage key press in alignment with their interests.
- Develop a deep understanding and knowledge of IAS research and institutional facts, history, and impact; seek ways to promote the Institute, its leadership, and basic research.
- Curate and further develop press contact lists based on research and strategy in collaboration with the Director of External Relations and Strategic Communications. Stay current on relevant publications and journalists who are likely to cover the Institute, its leadership, and its work and manage and develop those relationships to achieve deeper connections.
- Create regular opportunities for journalists to visit IAS, and seek new and creative ways to encourage engagement and coverage.
- In the absence and/or at the request of the Director of External Relations and Strategic Communications, serve as a primary point of contact for the press, and function as an additional spokesperson for IAS.
- Assist with communications activities, including writing press releases and remarks; developing an electronic press kit; handling media inquiries and requests; tracking awards for distribution; and supervising on-campus filming and photography by outside entities.
- Suggest content for social media platforms in conjunction with Advancement staff.
- Manage user experience of the news, events, and general IAS administration pages on the IAS website.
- Track articles and other press and share them with the Director’s Office staff
Event and Promotional Activities
- Manage publicity for campus and regional events; work as needed with Advancement staff to support the creation of flyers, programs, advertisements, and electronic promotional materials.
- Generate lists for targeted audience outreach and event promotion.
- Help with outreach and community activities, including on-site tours and visits.
- Staff Institute events as needed.
- Field general queries from the public as needed.
All other duties as assigned by the Director of External Relations and Strategic Communications Partnerships
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Strong office and software experience.
- Effective research and cultivation skills.
- Attention to detail and strategic, creative thinking and approaches.
- Maintain a high degree of confidentiality in all matters related to the Director’s office, the Institute’s Advancement program, the Board of Trustees, and all matters requiring sensitivity and discretion.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum of 3 years public relations and related experience required.
- Effective writing and communication skills required; social media experience a plus; must be technologically savvy and engaged.
- Proficiency in PC and/or Mac programs required; experience with Drupal, Excel, Mail Chimp, InDesign, Photoshop, and EventBrite or similar online ticketing programs a plus.
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.