Accounts Receivable Assistant
JOB TITLE: Accounts Receivable Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Business Office
REPORT TO: Assistant Comptroller
Reporting to the Assistant Comptroller, the Accounts Receivable Assistant is responsible for managing the accounts receivable and general ledger functions to ensure charges are posted and reconciled to the appropriate account.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible for Managing the Accounts Receivable Function
- Prepares accounts receivable and general ledger entries for monthly closing in accordance with established accounting policies and procedures. Generates and distributes monthly accounts receivable statements to members of IAS community. Responsible for entering forwarding addresses into the accounting system as needed.
- Answers various questions regarding accounts receivable, including monthly account receivable statements. Performs necessary follow-up regarding account receivable inquiries or past due accounts to share, obtain, or clarify account information and ensure timely payment.
- Maintains member housing and short-term housing information for accounting purposes. Maintains ledger for tenant housing and alerts appropriate personnel of delinquencies. Prepare manual statements for Short-term Housing and Special Events.
- Records sales tax activity, and transmit payment to the State of New Jersey monthly.
- Perform check out procedure for departing members in accordance with established accounting procedures.
- Prepares daily bank deposits for all accounts receivable and general ledger receipts, including gift and grant receipts. Input account receivable and general ledger cash receipts into the accounting system.
- Maintains the use and security of the petty cash box in accordance with established procedures.
- Processes Visa/MC and foreign collection transactions, following established policies and procedures.
- Assists the switchboard operations, when needed, to contribute to the efficiency and effectiveness of daily activities.
- Responsible for stuffing and mailing Accounts Payable checks to vendors weekly.
All other duties as assigned by the Assistant Comptroller
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent knowledge of a variety of computer software applications, including accounting software, MS Outlook, Word and Excel.
- High level of interpersonal skills to resolve A/R issues.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information and situations.
- High level of demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to interact and communicate with individuals at all levels of the organization.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required.
- Prior experience in or knowledge of Accounts Receivable and/or other accounting functions preferred.
- Competency with MS Office products, including intermediate to advanced Excel skills required.
- Solid organizational and collaboration skills, with the ability to respond to time sensitive deadlines, required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required.
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program.