Academic Assistant, Support HFL Professor, School of Social Science
JOB TITLE: Academic Assistant
DEPARTMENT: School of Social Science
REPORTS TO: School Administrative Officer
Reporting to the School Administrative Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for providing administrative assistance, research, and clerical support to Professor Alondra Nelson as well as the School Administrative Officer.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Provide broad administrative support to the Harold F. Linder Professor (90%)
- Provide administrative support to faculty member. Tasks include drafting and editing memos, letters, and correspondence; assisting in the preparation of materials for presentations; maintenance of faculty member’s calendar, including making appointments and prioritizing the most time-sensitive matters.
- Assist with the preparation of book and article manuscripts, including archival and general research, proofreading, and interacting with both internal and external contacts to ensure a quality end-product.
- Arrange meetings and workshops; reserve and prepare set-up of meeting rooms; prepare and distribute meeting agendas; facilitate visits of short-term researchers and guests.
- Serve as liaison with outside organizations and institutions to arrange speaking engagements, including any needed preparatory work such as itineraries, agendas, correspondence, expense reports, and communications.
- Make travel and accommodation arrangements.
- Prepare detailed domestic and international travel dossiers including but not limited to itineraries, travel, accommodations, guest bios, and remarks.
- Establish, maintain, process, and update files, records, and other documents. Prepare and distribute reports, as needed. Process expense reports and reimbursement/payment requests.
- Serve as liaison with the communications team on press releases and other relevant announcements, as requested.
- Keep faculty member’s web presence up-to-date.
All other duties as assigned by the School Administrative Officer, in coordination with the Faculty (10%)
- Work with other departments and operating units to address day-to-day administrative and operational matters, and provide back-up support to other administrative personnel, as needed, to contribute to the efficiency and effectiveness of School operations.
- Occasional proofreading of School and Institute materials.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to interact with high-level executives and high-profile individuals as well as work cooperatively in a team environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Ability to work independently, completing tasks accurately, with attention to detail, and in a timely manner
- Excellent written, verbal communication, editing, and proofreading skills
- Strong computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite, including word-processing, presentation, and spreadsheet
- Basic web content editing skills (Drupal, Wordpress)
- Familiarity with Zoom, Slack, Doodle, Dropbox and other administrative applications
- Proficiency in Adobe Suite applications and InDesign
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required
- Minimum two years administrative experience required
- Prior experience in an academic setting preferred
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for prolonged periods of time.
The Institute for Advanced Study retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position at any time.
To perform this role successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program.