Associate Director, Strategic Initiatives, Programming & Partnerships
Building on a 90-year history of bringing together outstanding scholars from around the world, the Institute for Advanced Study seeks an energetic leader to help shape and execute strategic initiatives that will engage new partners and audiences in advancing the Institute’s mission. Reporting to the Director, the Associate Director will serve as a member of the executive leadership team. They will develop a strategic vision that furthers the Institute’s position as a destination for thought leaders from diverse sectors to exchange and test ideas.
Expanding on the Institute’s global reputation as a singular venue for discovery, and in close collaboration with Faculty, current and past Members and partner institutions, they will imagine, create, and implement a wide range of programs that convene leading thinkers from academia, the arts, industry, governments, and communities.
These programs will further the free, transparent, and vibrant exchange of ideas that is a hallmark of the Institute and will disseminate outcomes to a wide variety of audiences, extending the social and intellectual value of these encounters, while enhancing the reputation of the Institute and its constituents. They will provide leadership for and enhance communications and events functions at the Institute, ensuring that existing and new programs are carried out at the highest level of quality, and that the Institute realizes maximum benefit from these important investments of resources and scholarly time.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate closely with Director and Executive Leadership Team to fulfill the Institute’s mission, supporting the vision of the Board of Trustees and the work of the Faculty.
- Build engagement and support for new strategic initiatives within the Institute community, including scholars, staff, and as necessary, trustees and donors.
- Create and execute a strategy for external and internal engagement that capitalizes on the distinctive strengths and position of the Institute for both existing and new programs.
- Provide the vision and collaborative leadership necessary to identify a broad range of engagement opportunities.
- Design and facilitate programs that convene academic and non-academic experts from around the world to engage in dialogue and advance ideas.
- Design tailored, creative, and collaborative approaches to successfully engage experts from diverse communities at the highest levels.
- Build networks that will continue to engage with the Institute and its affiliates for years to come.
- Address particular challenges and subject areas by opening the Institute’s work to a broader audience, furthering its educational goals and moving fields of inquiry toward new outcomes and action.
- Manage the implementation of programming and funding, provide leadership to program coordinators, volunteers, and other staff, solicit feedback, and analyze the effectiveness of both new and existing programs.
- Direct and oversee Communications and Events and other Institute functions that may be necessary to enable successful engagement.
- Manage communications and refresh messaging to promote new programming, disseminate outcomes, and maximize the reputational value to the Institute and its scholars and partners.
- Communications and Public Relations Manager
- Director of Events
Education, Experience and Skills
- Bachelor's degree required, advanced degree preferred with a minimum of 10 years of increasing and proven leadership experience.
- Demonstrated experience working with and engaging Board of Trustees members.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral, with the ability to serve as an ambassador for the Institute across a wide range of stakeholders and constituencies, and to guide Institute Communications staff in support of new initiatives.
- Experience in building relationships with high-profile leaders and experts in a variety of fields.
- Experience developing and leading new strategic directions and initiatives in complex organizations.
- Program planning, organizational structure, and budgeting experience required.
- Ability to analyze and compile complex data for planning and reporting purposes.
- Strong community awareness and the ability to find common ground, build consensus and strengthen collaboration among diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to leverage personal network to increase opportunities for engagement.
- Demonstrated commitment to the values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Strong computer proficiency required.
Please note that proof of COVID-19 vaccination and booster are required to work at the Institute.
Individuals are eligible to request an accommodation based on a medical exemption or profession of sincerely-held religious beliefs.
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program.