JOB TITLE: Maintenance Mechanic
DEPARTMENT: Administrative Services
REPORTS TO: Housing Operations Manager
Position Summary Handle routine maintenance for rental properties as well as campus single residences, apartments and townhouses, including 97 Olden.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Handle routine maintenance for rental properties as well as campus single residences, apartments and townhouses (45% for 97 Olden, 45% for remaining rental properties)
- performing minor plumbing, carpentry, or electrical repairs.
- repairing doors, locks, hinges, windows, screens, and other items.
- performing minor patching, glazing and caulking.
- maintaining walk areas by sweeping, using snow and leaf blowers, and removing snow and ice with shovels and tractors, particularly at 97 Olden and 263 Mercer.
- repairing and replacing light fixtures, outlets, fuses, plugs, cords, breakers and appliances; may operate minor electrical testing equipment.
- Performing the 97 Olden Lane Landscaping plan, to include;
- fertilizing, weeding, leaf removal (by raking and leaf blowers), tree and shrub pruning, watering and planting and other related work.
- growing organic vegetable garden at 97 Olden.
- Coordination of Facilities Grounds Maintenance support.
- responding to alarms as necessary.
- Directly contacts vendors in the event of a discrepancy to ensure timely resolution.
- pool openings, closings and upkeep (specifically 97 Olden, as needed 263 Mercer and Eno farm).
- Supporting event logistics at 97 Olden as required.
- All other duties and responsibilities, as assigned by the Housing Operations Manager (10%)
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to perform basic maintenance repair work required.
- Ability to take direction as well as work independently and cooperatively required..
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Occasional overtime required.
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds required.
- Ability to twist, bend, climb ladders, and work from ladders and scaffolding required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- At least three years of prior experience in maintenance work developing diverse maintenance skills required.
- Strong communication skills required. Prior tenant-relations experience strongly preferred.
- Driver’s license required
Education, Experience and Knowledge
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program.