JOB TITLE: Steward/Cashier
DEPARTMENT: Dining Services
REPORTS TO: Chef/Director of Dining Services; and / or sous – chef, Catering Manager
WORK HOURS: Typical workweek is Monday through Friday 8:45 am to 4:45 pm 40 hours week, plus overtime; Wednesday & Friday nights, catering events as needed; one Saturday morning (½ shifts) per month or more; and special functions as assigned
Responsible for a wide range of duties in assistance with the preparation of various meals throughout the day. Those duties are but not limited to prepare coffee and tea for beverage station, along with a variety of cold food items such as salads, appetizers and sandwich fillings. Washes, peels, slices and mixes vegetables, fruits or other ingredients for salads, hot line, pastry shop and special functions. Carve and slice meats, cheeses, portion and arrange food for service. Prepare coffee and tea for Common Room afternoon service. Fill sugar bowls, pepper mills, napkin dispensers, tea rack, all disposable wares and salad dressings. All other duties as assigned by the Chef/Director of Dining Services.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform cashier responsibilities during lunch service, typically from noon – 2:00 pm
- Ensures an accurate accounting of all transactions, collections and disbursements.
- Receives cash drawer at the beginning of the shift, and counts the money in drawer at the beginning and end of shift to verify its accuracy.
- Collect cash or charge cards from guests and make change for cash transactions.
- Prepare and setup and serve tea, coffee and cookies in the Common Room, and clean up station at the end of the shift.
Prepare coffee and tea beverage stations, including for Common Room afternoon service
- Maintain morning beverage station, and brew coffee.
- Help prepare a variety of cold food items such as salads, appetizers and sandwich fillings.
- Washes, peels, slices and mixes vegetables, fruits or other ingredients for salads, hot line, pastry shop and special functions.
- Check prep list and prepare all items as requested
- Assist with lunch and help other stations if time allows
- Setup and reset sugar bowls, salt & pepper, napkins, disposable wares, salad dressings for service.
- Clean counters.
- Replenish all mise en place.
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of work areas throughout the shift, and supply / storage closets in collaboration with all other Dining staff
- Rotate supplies, use FIFO (First In First Out) system.
- Clean refrigerators / freezers, stainless shelves / counters / tables, service hallways and other items as assigned.
- Assist in inventories as assigned.
Assist in the preparation of a variety of food items
Organize, restock and clean work areas
All other duties as assigned by the Chef/Director of Dining Services
Skills and Abilities:
- Perform duties with attention to detail, speed, accuracy, follow through and cooperativeness.
- Adapt to meet priority changes of workflow or requirements.
- Alertly operate designated machinery.
- Exert to transport equipment and wares up to 40 lb. in weight, and endure physical movements of up to four hours in length.
- Ability to withstand high temperatures, moisture and noise levels in work areas.
- High school graduate or equivalent vocational training required
- Must have the ability to handle knifes and cut fruits/vegetables to specifications
- Previous experience in hotels / restaurants required
- Ability to work with a POS system (Micros) strongly preferred
- Familiarity with proper sanitation regulations, including certification in sanitation. (SERVSAFE) preferred.
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program.