Academic Assistant School of Mathematics
JOB TITLE: Academic Assistant
DEPARTMENT: School of Mathematics
REPORT TO: School Administrative Officer
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide academic support to faculty members.
- Create and edit technical manuscripts, books, letters of recommendation, and CVs in TeX, LaTeX, or AMSTeX.
- Proofread manuscripts to meet publishers’ specifications and deadlines.
- Create and edit academic presentations in PowerPoint and TeX.
- Compile and submit grant proposals and yearly reports to meet grant requirements and deadlines.
Provide administrative support to faculty members.
- Serve as the point of contact for journals, referees, authors, and editors.
- Organize and catalog faculty pre-prints and reprints.
- Book faculty travel and create travel itineraries.
- Schedule faculty meetings and maintain calendars.
- Maintain faculty webpages using Drupal.
- Read, sort, respond, and/or forward faculty mail, emails, and faxes.
Complete special projects for the School Administrative Officer.
- Participate in working groups for new initiatives.
- Write reports as requested.
- Assist with planning workshops and conferences.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work productively as a team member.
- Excellent organization and time-management skills.
- Ability to multi-task and adhere to internal and external deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-motivation and timely follow-up skills.
- Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, and PowerPoint, and other software for desktop publishing and data management.
- Ability to handle sensitive information with confidentiality and discretion.
- Ability to use or learn to use TeX, LaTeX, and AMSTeX.
- Ability to use or learn to use Drupal.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required.
- 3-5 years relevant experience preferred.
- Microsoft Office and software skills (Word, PowerPoint) required. Knowledge of technical programs such as TeX, LaTeX, or AMSTeX strongly preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to work cooperatively in a team environment and share expertise with others required.
- Ability to read and write in French preferred
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program.