JOB TITLE: COOK II
DEPARTMENT: Dining Services
REPORTS TO: Chef
Position Summary: Under general supervision, the Cook II is responsible for the preparation of various ingredients required in recipes, prepare and cook food such as meat, fish, poultry, puddings, sauces, gravies and soup according to menu and number of persons to be served; determine type and amount of ingredients which may be substituted in recipes; evaluate food for quality, quantity, appearance, temperature and taste; and perform related work as required.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsible for the preparation of various ingredients required in recipes (90%)
- Prepare and set up own work station and food items, observing professional kitchen standards with use of all food and supplies as well as standard sanitation guidelines required.
- Check and prepare and set up for daily catering orders as well as evening dinners and other functions.
- Replenish all mise en place.
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of work areas during work shift.
- Maintain cleanliness of storage areas in conjunction with other Dining Services staff, utilizing proper cleaning materials and methods.
- Organize and re-stock work areas for next shift.
- Clean refrigerators, freezers, stainless counters and other equipment as necessary.
- Assist with other kitchen duties and inventory projects as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
All other duties as assigned by the Chef (10%)
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to lift and carry 40 pounds for short distances and stand through entire work shift, as well as to work in areas with high temperature and moisture levels require
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- ServSafe Certification strongly preferred
- High school degree or equivalent required; a degree from a post-secondary culinary arts training program preferred
- A minimum of three years of related experience required.
- Ability to work in a busy kitchen with speed and accuracy while maintaining cooperative relationships with co-workers and clientele required.
- Prior experience as a hotel or restaurant line cook preferred.
- Ability to communicate in job-related English required
- Ability to perform all duties and operate kitchen machinery with attention to detail and safety guidelines required.
Please note that proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required to work at the Institute.
Individuals are eligible to request an accommodation based on a medical exemption or profession of sincerely-held religious beliefs.
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program.