Academic Assistant School of Social Science
Reporting to the School Administrative Officer for the School of Social Science, the incumbent will be responsible for providing administrative assistance and clerical support to Faculty, and the School Administrative Officer.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Provide broad administrative support to the School of Social Science
· Provide administrative support in English and French to bi-lingual faculty member; tasks may include drafting, typing and/or editing memos and correspondence, and assisting in the preparation of materials for PowerPoint presentations.
· Assist with the preparation of book and article manuscripts, including editing of English. Perform library/web research as requested. Proofread the final version of publications, interacting with both internal and external contacts to ensure a quality end product.
· Organize domestic and international travel itineraries.
· Receive, screen, and respond to various inquiries in the form of telephone calls, mail, and visitors. Provide requested information, take accurate messages, and refer inquiries appropriately.
· Establish, maintain, process, and update files, records, and other documents. Prepare and distribute reports, as needed. Process expense reports and reimbursement requests.
· Maintain and update curricula vitae on an ongoing basis for faculty member, including keeping web presence up-to-date.
· Arrange meetings; reserve and prepare set-up of meeting rooms; prepare and distribute meeting agendas; facilitate visits of short-term researchers.
· Serve as liaison with other departments and operating units in the resolution of day-to-day administrative and operational problems, and provide back-up support to other administrative personnel, as needed, to contribute to the efficiency and effectiveness of departmental operations.
All other duties as assigned by the School Administrative Officer, in coordination with the Faculty
Skills and Abilities
· Strong administrative, office and computer experience.
· Attention to detail and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent strongly preferred
· A minimum of two years of administrative experience required
· Strong literary qualities in English required
· Fluency in oral and written French desirable
· Strong Word and PowerPoint software skills are required
· Strong written, verbal communications and editing skills required
· Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
· Confidentiality, attention to detail, and ability to complete tasks accurately and in a timely manner required
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.