JOB TITLE: Master Electrician
REPORTS TO: Maintenance Supervisor
Position Summary The Master Electrician position is a member of Facilities Operations responsible for planning and performing journeyman level work to inspect, maintain, and install all electrical systems and preventative maintenance duties.
Electrical and Preventive Maintenance Duties (90%)
- In accordance with work orders and following accepted electrical safety regulations and guidelines, repairs, installs, replaces, and tests electrical circuits, equipment, and appliances, utilizing appropriate tools, testing instruments, materials, and supplies.
- In emergency takes immediate steps to contain the problem and to restore the system to good and safe operating order.
- Installs and monitors performance of electrical equipment for hazards to ensure a quality operation and a safe and secure environment
- Responds to emergency call-ins on campus and for emergency after hours work as needed.
- Effectively coordinates work to be completed with appropriate maintenance specialty; e.g., painting, carpentry, etc., to ensure a quality and safe end product that is completed within established timeframes.
- Ensures that all electrical equipment and supplies are maintained in a safe and secure environment at all times; e.g., hardware, wiring, , lighting, circuit breakers, testing meters, etc.
- Provide electrical support to heat pumps, air conditioning, water pumps, lighting, exhaust fans, kitchen equipment, and variable frequency drives (VFDs)
- Maintains current license and knowledge of the National Electrical Code
- Assists other maintenance areas as needed including but not limited to snow removal and furniture moving.
All other duties as assigned by the Maintenance Supervisor (10%)
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of backup generators
- Perform overhead work and working on ladders
- Ability to lift and carry fifty pounds.
- Ability to follow written and verbal directions.
- Exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that require knowledge of extensive safety precautions.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- High School diploma required.
- 5 years of related work experience required.
- Valid NJ Electrical License required.
- Knowledge of underground utility detectors.
- Valid driver’s license required.
Please note that proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required to work at the Institute.
Individuals are eligible to request an accommodation based on a medical exemption or profession of sincerely-held religious beliefs.
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program.