Provide general catering assistance for dining services, including catering support at various events.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare, assemble orders and paperwork for catering functions
- Assemble paperwork for billing
- Check, prepare and set up for daily catering orders.
- Assist in preparation of food for catering
- Set-up room or office for catering function
- Deliver catering order and style food display
- Take down and clean room or office
- Return food and equipment to the kitchen.
- Replace or replenish supplies
- Prepare and style flower bouquet and decorations
- Wrap dinner guests favors
- Prepare gift baskets and welcome coffee sets
- Use correct cleaning chemicals for designated items, according to OSHA regulations and New Jersey board of health requirements.
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of work areas throughout the shift.
- Bartend, wait on tables, Function as host when needed
- Process rental orders (orders and returns)
- Work as a floor manager assistant / Maître D’ / Sommelier on dinner and large functions
- Train wait-staff, bartenders and all FOH staff
- Coordinate floor setup for events with host and maintenance staff
- Set up restaurant with linen, glassware, tableware
- Attend wine tastings and continuously train
- Wine inventory and wine room organization / re-supply
- Assist serving line at lunch
- Rotate supplies, use FIFO (First In First Out) system
- Report any damages, maintenance problems or safety hazards to the DS manager and / or Sous - chef or engineering.
- Adhere to all health department, sanitation and safety regulations as required by the DS department.
- Wash and sanitize hands before leaving the bathroom, after handling the garbage and / or any unsanitary ware or equipment.
All other duties as assigned by the Chef(10%)
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to perform duties with attention to details, speed, accuracy, follow through and cooperativeness.
- Ability to follow directions.
- Ability to adapt to meet priority changes of workflow or requirements.
- Ability to supervise and direct employees
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with host, guest and staff
- Ability to learn and adapt to new environments.
- Ability to exert physical effort in transporting equipment and wares up to 40 lb. in weight.
- Ability to withstand high temperatures, moisture and noise levels in work areas.
- Ability to endure abundant physical movements of up to four hours in length.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Bartender experience preferred
- ServSafe Certification strongly preferred
- Fluency in English required
- Excellent knowledge of table service, wine and dining room floor management
- Outgoing personality
- Must be organized
- Must have excellent working knowledge of Microsoft office, Micros POS, Caterease and/or Open Table
- Serve Safe certified
- First aid & AED certified
- High school graduate or equivalent vocational training preferred.
- Previous experience in a quality hotel or restaurant preferred
- Familiarity with proper sanitation regulations preferred.
Please note that proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required to work at the Institute.
Individuals are eligible to request an accommodation based on a medical exemption or profession of sincerely-held religious beliefs.
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program.