JOB TITLE: Academic Assistant
DEPARTMENT: School of Historical Studies
REPORT TO: School Administrative Officer
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The work is varied and will include:
1. Event management, coordinating plans and arrangements for conferences and workshops. Related tasks include preparing budgets, making travel and housing reservations, arranging catering, processing reimbursements and preparing and disseminating publicity materials.
2. Answering basic questions about computers and software, and assisting scholars, using a wide range of available software.
3. Proofreading and copyediting text.
4. General administrative duties including tasks such as photocopying, scanning, typing, scheduling meetings, formatting and printing documents and images
5. Preparation of PowerPoint presentations
6. Other duties as required.
MINIMUM AND PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS:
1. Bachelor's degree in the humanities strongly preferred. At least three years of experience required.
2. Experience with planning large and small events in an academic preferred.
3. Extensive working knowledge of PC equipment and software required.
4. Must have experience using Word, PowerPoint and Excel. Additional knowledge of computers and software (especially Photo Shop, Endnote, InDesign, Classical Text Editor, and familiarity with Mac software) preferred.
5. Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills required. Flexibility and ability to work productively as a team member is essential.
6. Experience with proofreading and copyediting in an academic or publishing environment preferred. Great attention to accuracy and detail required.
7. Fluency in one or more foreign languages, especially French, German or Spanish, is preferred.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent retirement plan,and a generous paid time off program.
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.