Part- Time - Circulation Assistant
This is a part-time position, working 4 hours per day, each weekday morning. Under general supervision, the Library Assistant performs routine duties for the Institute’s library.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Check-in newspapers and magazines received in mail, using established cardex system. Pick-up daily newspapers from mail room. Maintain newspapers and magazines which are a part of the Griffiths Room (Fuld Hall common room) collection. File older copies of newspapers and magazines and maintain system of shifting and recycling as needed. Type new check-in forms for newspapers and magazines prior to the start of the New Year.
- Maintain the circulation system for the library; filing cards for newly borrowed books and checking books back in. Keep circulation statistics, including the number of books charged out and returned as well as the number of uncirculated books and the number of returned Princeton University books. Working in collaboration with the Librarian, email departing members about borrowed books, so that all returns are made prior to their departure. Complete annual review process for faculty and staff's charged items.
- Separate IAS books and Princeton University books when returned and prepare Princeton books for return to Firestone Library. Timely shelving of IAS books in library stacks upon return.
- Sort and distribute mail and packages received in the library.
- Participate in the summer inventory process and update the collection inventory list.
- Interact with members/visitors and other library users by answering questions, helping to find books and facilitating use of library tables by maintaining an assignment list and place cards.
- Special projects assigned by Librarian
Other Job Duties and Responsibilities
- May perform additional job duties as assigned.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- High School Diploma required and a BA in Humanities preferred.
- One year in library setting preferred.
- Knowledge of foreign language(s) preferred.
- Knowledge of word processing software required
- Recommended competencies include strong analytic abilities, strong customer service philosophy, good written and communication skills, and self-motivation.
- Ability to lift and carry 30 pounds
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Please note IAS requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination to work on campus and this position requires an on campus presence.