Reporting to the Communications and Public Relations Manager, the incumbent is responsible for providing editorial and administrative support for print publications, facilitating departmental workflow, and ensuring quality control of data and materials. The incumbent assists with communications projects to engage new audiences, raise the Institute’s profile, communicate the relevance of basic research, develop informational resources for scholars, journalists, thought leaders, and the general public, and deepen engagement and connections within the IAS community.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Editorial and media support (70%)
- Copyedit, fact-check, and proof written material to ensure accuracy and adherence to style guides.
- Assist in editing, packaging, and distributing content for the website and other print and digital publications, securing image and reprint permissions as needed.
- Pitch and research stories, write articles, curate digital content, and post to social media, working with computing and design teams on layout and digital presentation.
- Gather and format materials for the newsletter, Annual Report, Faculty and Members booklet, and other print and digital materials, review proofs, implement author and administrative changes, and relay design revisions to graphic designer.
- Maintain online and print production schedules and oversee printing, mailings, internal distribution, billing records, and archiving of inventory.
- Track and analyze communications metrics for print and digital publications.
- Provide day-to-day support for the Institute’s website, updating Faculty and scholar bios and other changes as needed.
- Assist with media relations work, including staffing press and film crew visits as needed, creating media kits, news coverage summaries, and fulfilling requests for printed materials and photos. Develop knowledge of basic research and history of the Institute.
- Develop knowledge of basic research and history of the Institute.
Administrative support (15%)
- Provide administrative support for the department, including photocopying, ordering supplies, and maintaining and organizing departmental files and resources, including developing meeting agendas and updating databases and email lists as well as departmental calendars.
- Primary day-to-day vendor contact, including communication with graphic designers, external copyeditors, translation and transcription services, photographers, printers, and book publishers/vendors for obtaining books related to IAS.
- Track expenses, pay invoices, update departmental budget annually.
- Plan and schedule photography of academic and public events, securing all necessary permissions; take photos at IAS events as needed.
Supports the Communications and Public Relations Manager and all other duties as assigned (15%)
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong attention to detail required.
- Maintain a high degree of confidentiality in all matters related to the Director’s office, the Institute’s development and public affairs program, the Board of Trustees, and all matters requiring sensitivity and discretion.
- Proven ability to prioritize and multitask while maintaining a high degree of accuracy and professionalism under tight deadlines.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work productively as a team member required.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum of one-to-two years of related experience required.
- Prior editorial experience preferred with a solid knowledge of copyediting and fact checking.
- Strong office and software experience required, including familiarity with Word, Excel, Photoshop, PowerPoint, InDesign and/or Quark; proficiency on both PC and Mac, and experience with databases and digital invitation/marketing platforms preferred.
- Must demonstrate a willingness and ability to learn and retain new techniques/skills while meeting deadlines and maintaining high quality standards.
- Proficient with social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
Applicants must provide a resume, cover letter, and a writing sample (e.g. social media post, op-ed, news article, press release, etc.).
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program.
Please note IAS requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination to work on campus and this position requires an on campus presence.