Associate Editor of Publications
Reporting to the Communications and Public Relations Manager, the incumbent is responsible for the curation and production of print and digital publications. Through a combination of storytelling, scholar interviews, solicited articles, and the generation of original copy, the incumbent seeks to engage new audiences, raise the Institute’s profile, communicate the relevance of basic research to thought leaders and the general public, deepen engagement and connections within the IAS community, and attract financial support for the Institute’s mission. The incumbent is the editor of the biannual Institute Letter and works to ensure consistent editorial voice, messaging, and visual identity across platforms.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Management of editorial and digital content (65%)
- Coordinate production of recurring Institute publications, including Annual Report, Faculty and Members booklet, Institute Letter and other print and digital materials.
- Develop and launch strategies to enhance publications and expand suite of communications tools.
- Provide quality control of publications and other deliverables to ensure copy is accurate and consistent with the Institute brand.
- Curate, organize, and distribute content (articles, videos, news briefs, archival material, exhibits, photography, and externally published material) across print and digital platforms, including the website, publications, e-communications, and social media.
- Utilize content to support media outreach, fundraising efforts, leadership materials, relationship building, and events programming.
- Oversee design, production, distribution, and costs of existing and new products and publications.
- Draft and/or edit materials to support activities of the Development and Communications office.
- Advance editorial and content vision and communicate clear strategy.
- Oversee the work of summer interns.
Original content generation and research (15%)
- Work with Faculty and scholars to develop articles, profiles, and multimedia content.
- Contribute original, substantive reporting and writing about IAS research, scholars, and history.
- Perform archival, biographical, and content-related research about IAS founders, Faculty, prominent Members, consulting the Institute’s archives and other sources as needed.
- Ability to develop highly specialized knowledge of basic research and history of the Institute.
Content support and development of Institute website (10%)
- Coordinate the development and quality of the Institute website and its messaging, including the editing and production of the homepage, Ideas section, and Community of Scholars profiles.
- Develop research and image resources and departmental systems for content-related work, such as editorial processes, style and visual identity guides, and photography.
Supports the Communications and Public Relations Manager and all other duties as assigned (10%)
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Ability to write clearly for a general audience about current developments at the forefront of research in the sciences and humanities.
- Strong and efficient research skills required.
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels of the Institute Community.
- Maintain a high degree of confidentiality in all matters related to the Director’s office, the Institute’s Development program, the Board of Trustees, and all matters requiring sensitivity and discretion.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience in writing, editing and production required.
- Background in the sciences a plus.
- Proficient with social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Solid interpersonal skills and the ability to work productively as a team member required.
Applicants must provide a resume, cover letter, and a writing sample (e.g. social media post, op-ed, news article, press release, etc.)
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program.
Please note IAS requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination to work on campus and this position requires an on campus presence.