Computer Support Specialist
Position Summary The Computing Support Specialist is responsible for assisting faculty, members and staff with computing issues. All other duties, as assigned by the IT Manager, ITG.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible for assisting faculty, members and staff with computing issues
- Performs technical problem solving and assistance for various software applications and hardware systems for department users in response to specific requests.
- Performs routine hardware and software maintenance and assists in proper upkeep and utilization of systems. Installs, configures, maintains computer hardware/software and their associated components to ensure maximum operating efficiency.
- Provides technical support to Institute users on an ongoing basis. Documents incoming requests received via ticket tracking system, voicemail, email, or while providing daily field support to user groups, to include requestor’s name, explanation of problem, response time, resolution, work completed, etc. Enters, maintains, and follows up on support requests and/or work orders based on priority and severity of request. Maintains request log and, upon problem resolution, updates user request in the departmental tracking system.
- Maintains and updates inventory of equipment to ensure maintenance of adequate inventory levels and immediate availability based on organizational needs.
- Provides resources for individual and/or group instruction and training to users on computer hardware and software.
- Acts as liaison with users and outside vendors for equipment repairs and software problems.
- Assists departments with troubleshooting web pages and special projects.
All other duties as assigned by the IT Manager, ITG
Skills and Abilities
- Must be responsible, self-motivated, self-starter, personable and well-organized.
- Superior customer service skills to deal with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to manage and prioritize tasks at a very active help desk.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work with diverse groups.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Bachelors degree or equivalent required.
- Minimum of one year of experience supporting computer users in an academic environment strongly preferred.
- Experience supporting Mac and Windows operating systems and major application suites required.
- Certifications in supporting operating systems and software suites preferred.
- Web content editing experience and skills required.
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program
Please note IAS requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination to work on campus and this position requires an on campus presence.