Senior Accountant, Finance and Procurement
JOB TITLE: Senior Accountant, Finance and Procurement
DEPARTMENT: Business Office
REPORT TO: Comptroller/Chief Fiscal Officer
The Senior Accountant, Finance and Procurement has primary responsibility for managing the procurement and inventory processes and supporting the integration of financial accounting and reporting systems across all departments, preparing journal entries, financial reports and statements, and verifying accounts. All other duties, as assigned by the Comptroller/Chief Fiscal Officer.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibility for procurement process and inventory management
- Manages procurement department staff to obtain materials and services needed to operate and support all departments at the Institute.
- Maintains list of all lease agreements entered into by IAS. Ensures proper lease accounting recording per appropriate accounting regulations.
- Responsible for IAS campus copy machines, including procuring new machines as leases expire and arranging for maintenance on existing machines as needed.
- Oversees corporate credit card purchasing as well as online accounts such as Amazon, Home Depot, etc.
- Maintains vendor relationships and negotiates for the best possible pricing.
- Ensures that procurement policies and procedures are followed.
- Processes and maintains inventory and budget reports.
- Responsible for annual inventory of stockroom, including assisting in yearly wine and liquor inventory.
- Responsible for IAS Store, overseeing purchases of inventory, sales and coordination of shipping of orders.
- Updates fixed asset inventory and depreciation for annual audit.
Integration of financial systems, preparing journal entries, financial reports and statements, and verifying accounts.
- Maintains and coordinates the internal keycard system and credit charging on IAS cards. Works with Facilities and Public Safety to ensure proper building access granted through internal keycard system.
- Manages the MICROS, CBORD and UT&I charging and financial management platforms on campus between dining, facilities, computing and the business office.
- Coordinates PCI compliance across the organization.
- Reviews and monitors budget reports for specific departments relating to purchasing. Performs necessary follow-up with appropriate parties to promptly address and resolve accounting or reporting problems.
- Reviews invoices for specific vendors for accuracy and proper coding, and prepares accounting data spreadsheets for monthly American Express bill.
- Prepares and reconciles various yearly journal entries including those related to inventories, fixed assets, and capital accruals.
- Assists in the preparation of budgets for a specific set of departments for biannual Board of Trustees Meetings.
All other duties as assigned by the Comptroller/Chief Fiscal Officer (10%)
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of general accounting and auditing practices
- Ability to prepare and maintain accounting records and reports
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to present ideas effectively either orally or in writing
- Purchasing Assistants (2)
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or relevant field required
- Master’s degree or MBA preferred
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience required
- Knowledge of MS Office (especially excel), experience with accounting systems and practices
- Solid knowledge of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and regulations
- Excellent knowledge of accounting and financial processes (budgeting, financial closure, reporting, system integrations, etc.)
- Understanding of data analysis and forecasting
- Well-organized with ability to prioritize
- Attention to detail and problem-solving ability
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program.