JOB TITLE: Mechanic/Groundskeeper
REPORTS TO: Grounds Supervisor
Position Summary The Mechanic/Groundskeeper position is responsible for the maintenance of all Grounds equipment and the overall appearance of the Institute’s grounds.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible for supporting the overall appearance of the IAS grounds
- Following manufacturers’ recommended procedures, performs preventive maintenance and repairs of Grounds equipment (commercial landscaping equipment including two-cycle engines).
- Troubleshoots equipment problems using a variety of diagnostic tools.
- Welds metal members of various Grounds equipment such as mower decks.
- Maintains a clean and safe work area.
- Ensures that all groundskeeping equipment and supplies are maintained in a safe and secure environment at all times; e.g., shovels, power mowers and trimmers, riding equipment, gasoline and diesel fuels, herbicides and insecticides, etc.
- Based on health and season cycle, mows turf, weeds, prunes, fertilizes, mulches or treats plant material and flower beds.
- Removes and appropriately disposes of all fallen leaves, weeds and all plant material in accordance with established procedures.
- Appropriately removes snow and ice by utilizing snow plows, shovels, de-icing agents; e.g., calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, or road salt, as situation demands.
All other duties as assigned by the Grounds Supervisor
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate with Grounds Supervisor and Groundskeepers.
- Ability to lift and carry fifty pounds.
- Ability to climb ladders while carrying and using equipment such as electric clippers.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Small engine mechanic certificate required.
- Welding training certificate preferred.
- 1 – 3 years of related experience preferred.
- Analytical knowledge of groundskeeping equipment required
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.