JOB TITLE: Carpenter/Painter
REPORTS TO: Maintenance Supervisor
The Carpenter/Painter position is responsible for general carpentry and painting duties across the Institute campus. All other duties, as assigned by the Maintenance Supervisor.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible for general painting and preventative maintenance duties across the Institute campus
- Assists in carpentry, flooring, concrete, door and hardware, cabinetry, office furniture, interior and exterior trim work and acoustic ceiling installations and repairs.
- Takes measurements and calculates the size and amount of materials needed. Measures, cuts, and shapes wood, plastic, and other materials.
- Inspects and replaces damaged woodwork or other structures and fixtures.
- Repairs damaged roofs (asphalt shingles and flat roofs).
- Paints or stains walls, floors and ceilings, fences, furniture, cabinetry, etc. May also paint building exteriors.
- Effectively coordinates work to be completed with appropriate maintenance specialty; e.g., electricity, carpentry, etc., to ensure a quality end product that is completed within established timeframe.
- Ensures that all equipment and supplies are maintained in a safe and secure environment at all times; e.g., paint cans, solvent, rags, ladders, scaffolding, lighting, etc.
- Provides assistance to other maintenance areas, as needed, to include snow removal, furniture moving, and various other general maintenance activities.
All other duties as assigned by the Maintenance Supervisor
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to lift and carry fifty pounds.
- Ability to follow written and verbal directions.
- Ability to climb and perform work on ladders, lifts and scaffolding at various heights.
- Ability to safely use basic hand and power tools.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Minimum of three years’ experience strongly preferred.
- Valid driver’s license required
- Carpentry and painting experience required.
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.