Academic Assistant - SNS/CSB
Responsible for providing administrative assistance and clerical support to the Center for Systems Biology Faculty, Emeriti Faculty, Members, and Visitors and the School Administrative Officer.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible for providing general secretarial office support for the Center for Systems Biology (90%)
Assist Center for System Biology Faculty, Emeriti Faculty and Members
With letters of recommendation; prepare travel itineraries, obtain travel documents (visas, renew passports), communicate with institutions they are visiting regarding talks, accommodations, limo pickups; submit invoices and travel reimbursements; maintain faculty and emeriti faculty calendars; screen, respond and provide information to inquiries received through telephone calls, e-mail, postal mail and in person visitors; take accurate messages and refer inquires to appropriate individuals; make photocopies.
Liaison for Center for System Biology Members and Visitors
Provide general secretarial and office support to members and visitors in the Center for Systems Biology group including: travel reimbursements, general member questions, tracking arrival and departures, arranging STV housing/office assignment; prepare offices for new members and visitors; make office door name labels; request maintenance, painting or cleaning service through SchoolDude.
Assist Center for System Biology Seminar and Conference organizers
Seminars: Assist seminar organizers and faculty; communicate with speakers, arrange housing and office needs, prepare travel reimbursements, add seminar information to IAS calendar and other outside calendars; advertise talks through announcement and send reminder emails; communicate with A/V to record seminars or set up Zoom links.
SNS Conferences: Assist conference organizers; make room reservations in FSDirect or create Zoom links. Design website in Drupal; set up a registration page for the conference including Eventbrite for the collection of fees. Communicate with lecturers and attendees regarding accommodations, travel expenses, titles of talks. Coordinate coffee breaks, lunch, dinners or other special events with the Dining Hall and Events team. Enter work order into FSDirect to arrange for lectures to be recorded and other various requests for the maintenance department. Review food/drink contracts for accuracy. Manage registration table.
General Administrative Duties:
- Maintain the IAS Center for Systems Biology website, database (P3), online calendar and physical bulletin boards.
- Correspond with journal publishing firms to authorize payment for members papers before publication.
- Keep office supply closet stocked, ordering additional supplies as needed.
- Contact maintenance department for building problems/repairs as necessary.
- Maintain the CSB library. Submit requests for new book purchases to Mathematics-Natural Sciences librarian.
- Sort and distribute incoming mail. Forward mail to previous members.
- Provide backup support to other Academic Assistants as needed, to contribute to the efficiency and effectiveness of school operations.
All other duties as assigned by the Executive Director & Administrator of Center for Systems Biology (10%)
Skills and Abilities
- Strong administrative, office and computer experience.
- Attention to detail and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required
- 3-5 years secretarial experience preferred.
- Office and computer software skills (Word, Excel, Drupal, Adobe Acrobat DC) required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.