JOB TITLE: Academic Assistant
DEPARTMENT: School of Natural Science
REPORTS TO: School Administrative Officer
To provide general secretarial and office support to the Astrophysics faculty as well as Astrophysics members, visitors and the School Administrative Officer.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
Data Analysis and Web Content Management
Leverage strong experience with Microsoft Excel to analyze data on behalf of school initiatives and administrative priorities. Prepare reports that track member demographics and add capabilities as needed. Using Drupal, prepare webforms and maintain record management for postdoc mentoring. Act as an interface with IT on creating and implementing web content and applications.
Assist Astrophysics Faculty Members
Assist with letters of recommendation; prepare travel itineraries, obtain travel documents (visas, renew passports), communicate with institutions they are visiting regarding talks, accommodations, limo pickups; submit invoices and travel reimbursements; maintain faculty calendars; screen, respond and provide information to inquiries received through telephone calls, e-mail, postal mail and in person visitors; take accurate messages and refer inquires to appropriate individuals; make photocopies.
Liaison for Astrophysics Members and Visitors
provide general secretarial and office support to members and visitors in the astrophysics group including: travel reimbursements, general member questions, tracking arrival and departures, arranging STV housing/office assignment; prepare offices for new members and visitors; make office door name labels; request maintenance, painting or cleaning service through SchoolDude.
Assist Astrophysics seminar and conference organizers
Seminars: Assist seminar organizers and faculty; communicate with speakers, arrange housing and office needs, prepare travel reimbursements, add seminar information to IAS calendar and other outside calendars; advertise talks through announcement and send reminder emails; communicate with A/V to record seminars or set up Zoom links.
Conferences: Assist conference organizers; make room reservations in FSDirect or create Zoom links. Design website in Drupal; set up a registration page for the conference including Eventbrite for the collection of fees. Communicate with lecturers and attendees regarding accommodations, travel expenses, titles of talks. Coordinate coffee breaks, lunch, dinners or other special events with the Dining Hall and Events team. Enter work order into FSDirect to arrange for lectures to be recorded and other various requests for the maintenance department. Review food/drink contracts for accuracy. Manage registration table.
General Administrative Duties:
- Maintain the IAS Astrophysics website, online calendar and physical bulletin boards
- Correspond with journal publishing firms to authorize payment for members papers before publication.
- Provide minimal support to emeriti such as occasional correspondence, forwarding mail or scanning materials.
- Prepare Astrophysics section pages for the IAS Annual report
- Provide backup support to other Academic Assistants as needed, to contribute to the efficiency and effectiveness of school operations.
- Keep office supply closet stocked, ordering additional supplies as needed.
- Contact maintenance department for building problems/repairs as necessary.
All other duties as assigned by the School Administrative Officer
Skills and Abilities
- Strong administrative and database experience; Excel, Web content management (i.e., Drupal, Wordpress)
- Attention to detail and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required
- 3-5 years secretarial experience in an academic environment preferred.
- Office and computer software skills (Word, Excel, Drupal, Adobe Acrobat DC) required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to work cooperatively in a team environment and share expertise with others required.
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes subsidized health and dental insurance, an excellent retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program.