JOB TITLE: Software Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Computing Administration
REPORTS TO: IT Manager, Software Engineering
The Software Engineering team constructs custom web-based software systems for use by organizational stakeholders, as well as web APIs and CLI applications that integrate backend and third-party systems. Software Engineering is a part of the roughly 25-person IT department, known as IAS Computing. IAS Computing is a diverse and supportive team, providing a wealth of strategic and technical opportunities to its members, as well as offering a breadth of professional development and training options.
Reporting to the IT Manager, Software Engineering, the Software Engineer will contribute to these efforts through building, maintaining and monitoring custom web and CLI-based software and public websites. The ideal candidate will have proven experience with web programming, interacting with databases, and application-level security. They will be able to translate user requirements into production quality, stable and documented code.
- Build, maintain and monitor custom web and CLI software applications.
- Build, maintain and monitor public websites.
All other duties and responsibilities, as assigned by the IT Manager, Software Engineering
- Proficiency in an object-oriented programming language
- Proficiency working with relational database systems
- Proficiency working in a Linux terminal
- Skillful at debugging runtime issues on production systems
- Demonstrates an ability to learn new technologies
- Interested in and adept at building software systems and tools
- Comfortable selecting tools and technologies
- Communicates well, verbally and in writing
- BA or BS Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field
- 3+ years related work experience
- Contributes to open-source software projects
- Enjoys learning and teaching
- Demonstrates experience with one or more backend web development frameworks, such as Spring, Django, Laravel, Symfony, Ruby on Rails, or Node.js
- Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP (LAMP)
- Symfony Framework
- Drupal 7 and 8
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.