Responsible for coordinating entire station and communicating with front and back-of-the-house personnel to provide a dining experience that meets or exceeds guest expectations.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Coordinate entire station and communicating with front and back-of-the-house personnel to provide a dining experience that meets or exceeds guest expectations
- Obtain assigned service station from host/hostess at start of work shift.
- Greet guests and presents them with the menu. Informs guests of specials and menu changes, makes suggestions and answers questions regarding food, beverages and service.
- Take food and beverage orders from guests (either written or memorized), and relays order to kitchen staff and bartender as appropriate via MicrosPOS System.
- Process guests’ orders to ensure all items are prepared properly and on a timely basis. Communicates with host/hostess, bus person, kitchen staff, and bartender, and coordinates entire station to ensure guest satisfaction with the food and service.
- Serve courses from kitchen and service areas promptly, garnishes items with proper presentation prior to serving if instructed.
- May carve meats, bone fish and fowl, prepare flaming dishes and desserts at tableside, and present, open, and pour wine when serving guests.
- Observe diners to ensure that guests are satisfied with the food and service, responds to any additional requests, and determines when the meal has been completed.
- Total bill and accept payment
- Assist bus person with stocking work stations, removing, and resetting soiled dishes and silverware from table at conclusion of each course, and cleaning and resetting vacated tables.
All other duties as assigned by the Dining Room Manager, Asst. Manager, Chef
Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to perform simple mathematical calculations.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to stand for entire shift
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Strong verbal communication skills required
- Previous wait staff experience strongly preferred.
On call, 4 hours minimum per day guaranteed
Wednesday & Friday 4:00pm to 10:00pm (Oct - April)
Assigned catering events
The Institute for Advanced Study is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants. We believe in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to the organization. As a community dedicated to intellectual inquiry, we are resolutely committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.